Slip 1, Knit 1, Pass Slipped Stitch Over

Exploring the sometimes not-so-gentle arts.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The buttonless baby cardigan

My baby cardigan is finished- almost. I can't find the right buttons. It's preemie sized, so it knit up fast, but I don't know anyone with a preemie. I was thinking I might be able to find a charity that took preemie clothes. I know there are quite a few out there for hats and booties. I'll work on that when I add buttons. The pattern came from Sirdar Early Arrivals No. 2 which I highly suggest to anyone knitting for any size baby. The very cute patterns are easy to knit and simple to adjust for size. I know it may sound crazy, but I really like 100% acrylic yarn. This is Bernat Softee Baby. It's actually surprisingly soft, really! I think knitting with this is a low pressure activity. There is no fear of wasting wonderful, expensive yarn if the project goes south, and no fear of the project going south if it should find its way into a washing machine at some point.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Karin said…

    I think your cardigan looks great! I too like working with 100% acrylics, especially for baby stuff, as long as it's soft. The kid'll outgrow it soon enough anyways, or spit up on it before then!! I hope to see more pics of your FO's soon. Oh yeah--super cool that your husband has tried knitting before!

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do any of your local hospitals have a neo-natal intensive care unit? They'd be thrilled to have the sweater donated (unless you'd rather know the receipient). My son was over 2 mo's early and wore Cabbage Patch Premmie doll clothes for a while. Knitting sure was quick though when he was that small!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home